Enabling Comments on Blog Articles with Disqus
Workfolio's blog supports comments powered by Disqus, a popular third-party commenting platform. Here is what you need to do to enable comments on your blog articles:
- Navigate to https://disqus.com/ and create an account.
- On the next page, you will be asked whether you want to install comment on other websites, or install Disqus on your website. Choose the option for installing Disqus on your website.
- On the next page, you'll be asked to choose a name for your blog ("Tom's Blog", for example). As you type the name of your blog, you'll see a Disqus URL populate beneath the name of your blog (shortname.disqus.com). Choose a category that matches the content you plan to have on your blog. Save the form to continue.
- On the next page, you'll be asked to choose the platform where your comments will be displayed. At the bottom of the page, click "I don't see my platform listed, install manually with Universal Code".
- You can skip the installation instructions, as Workfolio handles all the steps involving code for you. At the bottom of the page, click "Configure" to move to the next step.
- On the final installation page, you can change any of the settings for your Disqus installation. The most important step to take on this page is to add your custom domain (without the "www", so just "tommiller.com", for example), or your workfolio.com subdomain in the "Website URL" field. This allows Workfolio to load comments on your website. Click "Finish Installation" to complete the initial setup.
- On the left-hand side of the page, you will see a navigation menu with a few options in it, including "Advanced". Click "Advanced". On the next page, add any domains where you want comments to display to the Trusted Domains list. Add "workfolio.com" (without the quotation marks), then click "Add", and enter your custom domain (without the www), and click "Add" again.
- Click the "General" tab on the top left-hand corner. Find the "Shortname" value under the "Site Identity" section. Write down or copy this shortname to your computer's clipboard for the next step.
- Navigate back to Workfolio, log in, and navigate to the Account page (click on the button with three white bars on the top right of the page). Enter the shortname from the last step in the "Disqus ID" field at the bottom left of the page.
- Check an individual blog post on your Workfolio website to see whether comments load as you would expect.
Note that all moderation of comments and configuration can only be done on the Disqus dashboard.
That's it! Now you begin building a community around your blog posts.