Setting Up Your Mailbox in Apple Mail (Mac)
Note: This walkthrough is for mailboxes only. You cannot set up an Apple Mail account for forwarders. Please double-check which kind of account you set up before proceeding.
To set up an Apple Mail account for your new mailbox, follow these steps:
- Open Mail
- In the "Mail" drop-down menu in the top left-hand corner of your desktop, click "Add Account...
- In the next window, click "Add Other Mail Account..."
- Type in the name you want to appear in the "From" portion of your emails under "Full Name"
- Type in your new email address ([your mailbox]@[your domain].[com/net/info])
- Type in the password to your account that you set when creating the mailbox and click on the 'Sign in' button
- On the next window, make sure IMAP is selected.
- Under "User Name" enter your full email address (email@example.com, for example).
- For "Incoming Mail Server" enter mail.[your domain].[com/net/info]
- For "Outgoing Mail Server Info", enter mail.[your domain].[com/net/info]
- Click on the "Sign In" button on the bottom of the window
- Apple Mail will ask you which apps you want to use for the account. Make sure that the box next to "Mail" is checked.
- Click on the "Done" button at the bottom of the window.
- After that, your mail account should be set up without a problem. Try sending your new mail account an email from an existing account of yours. It may take a minute to arrive, but you can click the envelope button to help speed up the process.
Troubleshooting your Apple Mail
If you are having problems sending your email, double-check your server settings by following these steps:
- Click on "Mail" in the top left-hand corner of your screen and click "Preferences..."
- Select the name of the account you just set up on the left-hand side of the screen
- On the right-hand side of the screen, double-check that your information is correct. The "username" field should be your email address.
- Find the heading that says "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)" and click the select menu. Click on "Edit SMTP server list".
- Making sure the correct server is selected in the top section, make sure the port is set to 993 and "Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)" is checked
- Make sure "Authentication" is set to "Password" and the username and password field are filled out correctly
If you get an alert about the certificate not being valid, you can follow these steps to stop seeing that message:
- Click "Configuration" or "Settings"
- Find the "Trust" drop-down
- Select "Always Trust" from the top drop-down menu
- Click "Save"
If you continue to have any difficulty adding your mailbox to Apple Mail, or have any questions other, please feel free to reach out to us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.